Board games have seen a resurgence in popularity in recent years, with many people rediscovering the joys of playing games with friends and family. As a result, there has been a growing interest in board game storage solutions that can keep collections organized and easily accessible. One popular option for board game storage is the Kallax shelving unit from IKEA. With its deep shelves and versatile size options, Kallax has become a go-to choice for many board game enthusiasts. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of using Kallax units for board game storage, discuss factors to consider when setting up your storage system, and offer tips for maintaining your collection and your Kallax unit.
Benefits of Kallax Board Game Storage
Kallax shelving units offer a range of benefits that make them an ideal choice for board game storage:
- Deep Shelves: Kallax units have deep shelves that can accommodate larger board game boxes, which can be difficult to store on other types of shelves.
- Versatile Size Options: With a range of size options available, from a 1×4 to a 5×5 shelf unit, Kallax can be customized to fit your collection.
- Easy Customization: Kallax units can be easily customized with additional shelves or drawers, allowing you to create a storage system that fits your specific needs.
- Efficient Use of Space: The cubby-style design of Kallax units makes efficient use of vertical space, allowing you to store more games in a smaller footprint.
- Stylish Design: Kallax units have a clean, modern design that looks great in any room. They can be used to store board games as well as other items, making them a versatile addition to your home decor.
Factors to Consider for Kallax Board Game Storage
- Weight and Size of Your Games: When setting up Kallax board game storage, it’s important to consider the weight and size of your games. Some larger games, such as Gloomhaven or Terraforming Mars, can be quite heavy and may require additional support or reinforcement on the shelves. Additionally, oversized or unusually shaped boxes may not fit well on standard Kallax shelves.
- Storage for Smaller Pieces: Many board games come with smaller pieces and components that can easily get lost or mixed up. Consider storing these smaller pieces within the larger game boxes to keep them organized and easily accessible. You can use small ziplock bags or tackle boxes to keep these components separated.
- Storing Games Vertically: Storing games vertically is important to prevent the game boards’ warping and keep the boxes in good condition. This also makes it easier to see and access your games. Use bookends or dividers to keep games standing upright.
- Keeping the Unit in a Cool, Dry Place: Board games are susceptible to damage from moisture, so it’s important to keep your Kallax unit in a cool, dry place. Avoid placing the unit near windows or in areas of your home that may be damp or humid.
By considering these factors when setting up your Kallax board game storage, you can ensure that your collection is well-organized, easily accessible, and protected from damage.
How to Set Up Your Kallax Board Game Storage
- Determine the Size of Your Collection: Before purchasing a Kallax unit, consider the size of your board game collection and the space you have available. This will help you determine the size of the Kallax unit you need.
- Assemble the Kallax Unit: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to assemble the Kallax unit. If you’re customizing the unit with additional shelves or drawers, be sure to install those at this time.
- Sort Your Games: Sort your games by size and weight to determine where they will fit best on the shelves. Consider grouping games by theme or genre to make them easier to find.
- Store Games Vertically: As mentioned earlier, storing your games vertically is important to prevent warping. Use bookends or dividers to keep games standing upright.
- Organize Smaller Pieces: Use small ziplock bags or tackle boxes to organize smaller pieces and components within the larger game boxes.
- Consider Additional Storage Solutions: If you have a large collection or need additional storage space, consider using additional shelves or drawers within the Kallax unit. This can help you maximize your storage space and keep your games organized.
- Label Your Shelves: Consider labeling your shelves to make it easier to find specific games. You can use label makers or write directly on the shelves with a marker.
By following these steps, you can set up your Kallax board game storage in a way that maximizes space, keeps your games organized and easily accessible, and protects your collection from damage.
Maintaining Your Kallax Board Game Storage
- Regular Cleaning: Dust and debris can accumulate on your board games and within your Kallax unit, so it’s important to clean both regularly. Use a microfiber cloth or soft brush to gently clean your games and shelves.
- Inspection: Regularly inspect your board games for any signs of damage or wear and tear. This includes checking for torn or missing pieces, warped game boards, or damaged boxes. Address any issues as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Temperature and Humidity: Keep your Kallax unit in a cool, dry place to prevent damage from temperature and humidity changes. Avoid placing the unit near windows or in areas that may be damp or humid.
- Weight Distribution: Be mindful of weight distribution on the shelves to prevent sagging or damage to the Kallax unit. Avoid placing too many heavy games on one shelf, and consider reinforcing the shelves with additional support if needed.
- Use of Protective Covers: Consider using protective covers for your board games to prevent dust, moisture, or sunlight damage. These can be especially helpful for games that are rarely played or stored for long periods of time.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your Kallax board game storage and your board games remain in good condition for years.
Kallax units provide a versatile and customizable solution for organizing and storing board game collections. Their deep shelves and various size options allow for ample storage space, and the units can be customized to fit individual storage needs. Also, proper maintenance, such as regular cleaning, inspection, and temperature control, can help maintain the longevity of both the Kallax unit and the board games.
If you’re looking for a way to organize your board game collection, consider Kallax board game storage as an option. With a little planning and organization, you can create a space that maximizes storage and keeps your games easily accessible. So why not give it a try and see how Kallax board game storage can work for you?
Want to know about hues and cues examples? Read it here.